Assignment 6 featured yet another tool I had never used, VoiceThread. Before I even tried to complete the assignment, I read over the lecture notes to get a feel for what we were getting into. I also went to VoiceThread.com and looked at a bunch of different projects. Once I felt like I had an idea of what I was supposed to be creating, I had to plan the project. I decided to bring back one of my favorite topics, the video log or vlog. I started out by scripting. Last semester, I learned the hard way that the easiest way to create a successful recording is by writing down what you want to say. Now I would not dream of doing a formal recording without at least jotting down points. At first, I would actually write out words. Then I evolved to typing the script. Now I just use the ‘Stickies‘ found in the Application folder on my computer. They are small and can be kept out of view as I am capturing the video. They can also be moved around and scrolled through while videos are being created.
After I decided what I wanted to say, I started gathering images. It was easier for me to take the images using jing that it would have been to attempt to find the images online. Since completing this assignment, I have also learned how to do take pictures of the screen without any additional software. Once I had all my images I wanted to use, I uploaded and arranged them. I think the easiest part was adding the voice. Adding audio to a project, slide by slide is a lot easier than trying to get timing right. I think that’s why I liked doing the VoiceThread so much.
With the VoiceThread completed, I simply had to post the URL to the Assignment area. At that time, classmates were free to visit my project and leave comments. I thought this was fantastic. Comments could be left in regards to the entire project or individual parts. I can see where this would be extremely beneficial in K12 classrooms. If a teacher wanted to comment on a specific part or if students had questions about a specific section, the comments could be left on that slide. VoiceThreads are great!!! I have been encouraging people to consider using VoiceThreads in place of standard PowerPoints every since I created this assignment.

I remember your Voicethread and it was good. I agree with you about writing notes or a script for recordings like that and the Stickies idea from your Mac is a good one that I might steal.
ReplyDeleteGood job.