
I chose Photo Booth coupled with Ancestry.com. Using Photo Booth to capture videos and upload them to Ancestry.com only adds value to the already indispensable site. In the past, recording required far more effort than it does now. Photo Booth uses the iSight webcam to record. With the program open, all the participant has to do is sit, press the red camera button, and begin talking. Different effects are available to enhance or alter videos. While most of the effects may not be desirable during oral history interviews, user-created backdrops can be substituted.
In addition to the many research features available, the site also offers a variety of Web 2.0 tools. There’s a blog, a Wiki, webinars, and much more. There is even a project being currently available called the World Archives Project. Through this project, members analyze records and help bring free historical record collections to the public. If ever I get a moment, I am going to try to participate in the program.
I think I had more problems creating the biography and figuring out what to use for a handout. At the beginning of the project, I thought I was supposed to create a vita. I later found out this wasn’t necessary. However, before I made that discovery, I found out I look like a lump of clay on paper. I haven’t presented anywhere formally. I’ve never published any articles or papers. These are areas that I must work on. It wasn’t until Thursday morning that I actually realized what kind of handout I should have submitted versus what kind of handout I actually submitted. I feel like I should have created a handout that summarized my slides or something of that nature. However, my handout was more of a resource that could be used after the conference to conduct actual interviews.
The closer it got to the conference, the more nervous I became. I was nervous for real. I was amazed by that. Once people started coming, I felt a little better. Conference participants were really funny. One lady used my alcove as a dressing room. Another wouldn’t even speak to me. Overall, though, I had a great time.

This picture was taken right after I left the Midnight Ballroom. That's where the conference after party was held. I couldn't take any picture in the Ballroom, because it was too dark. So I teleported back to the conference site. My dress looks like it's moving, because I was still dancing. LOL

Tiwari, I enjoyed reading your blog and working with you this summer. I particularly liked what you said in your reflection about scaffolding and building on what you learn. We definately had this experience in Dr. Yuen's course. While it was intense we did learn a lot. Thank you for your help and I hope to see you in future courses.
ReplyDeleteHey,
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you got over your nervousness at the symposium. I thought that the group chat featured helped to lighten up the mood for us presenters. It seems that you might have gotten a little frustrated about the what some parts of the presentation were suppose to be. I had to really read and re-read Dr. Mark's emails as I put my stuff together; there were so many parts to it. I think everyone's product was pretty good though and I think the symposium was a success. Thanks for your part.